How to help others
In the same way as we need help from others at times, we also need to be able to offer help.
How do I know if someone needs help?
- Tone of voice and gestures
- References to committing suicide
- A change in usual mood and behaviour
- Violence towards or from others/ Self harming
- Trauma caused by changes in personal relationships
- Drug and alcohol misuse
- Eating disorders
What can I do to help?
Listen to the person in a non-judgmental way.
Empathise and share your experiences if appropriate.
Offer support in making an appointment and going to see a professional withthem if they so wish.
Reinforce that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
Reassure them that they are not alone. You and others are there for them.
Where do I go for information and support?
In an emergency call 111
Student Health Services
Otago Polytechnic teachers
Find more information on the Health and Wellbeing webpage