At OP every student has free access to Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. Office 365 offers you productivity tools that will not only help you succeed while studying, but that will also help to prepare you for life after graduation.
Otago Polytechnic has an agreement with Microsoft which allows all students access to a Microsoft Office365 ProPlus License. This entitles all students to receive free copies of Microsoft Office 2013/2016 for their PC and Mac, which you can install on up to five devices.
These cloud-based productivity tools will let you access assignments in shared workspaces, synchronise your notes with OneNote, and communicate and collaborate on projects with familiar applications like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel – anywhere, anytime and across virtually any device.
What are the benefits of Office 365 ProPlus?
Office 365 ProPlus comes with:
Skype for Business
OneDrive for Business
You can download these tools to your computer and use them anytime.
The Office 365 ProPlus account also gives you access to Office Online. Office Online is an online office suite which allows you to create and edit files using a web-based version of the Office 365 tools. With Office Online you can create and edit Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Excel documents from a web browser. You can also access your email, contacts, calendar and several other apps such as Sway, Video, Delve and Yammer.
Watch the following video to find out more.
Once you are signed in online, everything you create with the Office Online programmes is stored for you in a cloud-based storage called OneDrive. These documents can then be opened with the Office programmes you downloaded to your computer and worked on from OneDrive.
You can share the documents via a link and work on things with other people, even at the same time. Any changes made will be seen immediately.
Sway is a new Office 365 app which allows teachers to create interactive web-based lessons, assignments, and newsletters. This can be done from a phone, tablet, or browser. Students can use Sway to create reports, assignments, projects, study materials, and portfolios.
Follow these steps to download Office 365 ProPlus.
- Go to the Student Hub and click email. Log in if you need to.
2. Go to the Microsoft Office 365 home page by clicking Office 365 at the top left hand corner of the screen.
3. Click on “Install now”, and follow the instructions. If you have an Apple computer, sign in from there to install the Mac version.
OneDrive for Business is a place where you can store, sync, and share your files. As part of Office 365, OneDrive for Business lets you update and share your files from anywhere and work on Office documents with others at the same time.
This cloud storage system offers up to 1TB of storage space (compared with only 500MB which is currently available through H: Drive).
OneDrive for Business is different from OneDrive, which is intended for personal storage separate from your student work. ‘OneDrive’ appears as an abbreviation of OneDrive for Business in 365 to keep things simpler.
All files that you store in OneDrive for Business are private unless you decide to share them. You can easily share a file with everyone in your organization by placing it in the 'Shared with Everyone' folder, for example. You can also share files with specified students or staff so that you can collaborate on projects.
When you send email from Outlook Web App, you can attach a OneDrive for Business file as a link, instead of sending an attachment. When you attach a file as a link, you automatically give the people you message permission to edit the file. By doing this, you save space in everyone's mailbox and encourage people to edit the same copy in OneDrive for Business.
How do I access OneDrive for Business?
1. Sign in to the Student Hub and click on the OneDrive icon. If you are signed in to a campus computer, there will be a handy shortcut on the desktop for ease of use.
2. For first-time users you may encounter the welcome page. Just click next to continue.
How do I download the OneDrive for Business app?
You can download the OneDrive for Business client for your personal device by clicking the link on the bottom lefthand corner.
Next, select the right option “OneDrive for Business”.
How do I share files?
In OneDrive for Business, documents are private until you share them.
To share a file with specific people
1. Select the file you want to share, and then select Share. Ask yourself; do you want others to be able to edit the file? To just read the file? Or to be able to comment on the file?
2. In the Share window, type the name of each person you want to share the file with. As you type each name, suggestions appear that match your contacts. When you see the name you want, select it to add it to the list.
3. Select the permission in the list that you want to grant people. You can change the permission later for any person.
4. If you want, type a message to send to all the people you're inviting. The email message will include a link to the shared document. If you don't want to send an email, unclick the Send an email invitation.
5. Click Share.
To share files with a group
You can create folders which are shared with a group of people.
1. Create a new folder
2. In the Share window, type the name of each person you want to share the folder with. As you type each name, suggestions appear that match your contacts. When you see the name you want, select it to add it to the list.
3. Choose the share permissions and whether you want to send an email invitation or not by unclicking the boxes.
4. Click Share.
Microsoft Skype for Business Online is a hosted communications service included in Office 365 ProPlus. You can use Skype for Business to communicate with your teachers or other students by instant messaging (IM), voice, video-conferencing and screen-sharing.
Skype for Business is a different client from Skype that you may have used in the past on your own device.
They look similar and the functionality between them is similar; however, you cannot sign into the Skype for Business client with your usual Skype name - you’ll need to sign in using your OP student sign-in details which will match your email address e.g. email@example.com.
Skype for Business is for connecting with your teacher or other students at OP.
Skype is for connecting with your friends and family at home.
Launch Skype for Business via the start menu or desktop shortcut.
You should be signed in automatically - this can take a minute or so please be patient.
If your sign-in address is not populated automatically, you can fill this out yourself.
The address to use matches your email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org and your password (if prompted) also matches the password you use to access your email and other Office365 features.
How do I see presence and Instant Messages (IM) without downloading or using the client?
You can sign in to Office 365 in your browser like you do to check your student email (click the email shortcut located on the Student Hub) and you’ll see these controls at the top right-hand corner. Here you can sign out of IM, or change your presence to suit.
How do I search for a student or teacher from the Office Web App?
In the Office web app, look at the top of the page, and select the app launcher, and then select People.
Search for the person in the search field (top left).
If you’re looking for a staff member, make sure you select the contact that has the IM address that ends in @op.ac.nz
Likewise, when searching for a student you’ll need to select the contact that has the IM address that ends in @student.op.ac.nz
Click the hyperlink under where it says IM to start an instant message with that person.
A new window should open where you’ll be able to see whether the user is available (the green square) and send and receive instant messages.
Sway is an Office 365 app which you can use to create reports, assignments, projects, study materials, and portfolios. This can be done from a phone, tablet, or browser on your PC.
Sway allows users who have a Microsoft account to combine text and media to create a presentable website. You can incorporate saved content from the device you are working on, or from internet sources such as Bing, Facebook, OneDrive, and YouTube. Sway is cloud-based, so you can use it on multiple devices and share it with other people. Sways can be viewed and edited from any web browser with a web app available in Office Online, or embedded into places such as your website or blog so you can share it with your peers or teachers.
Login to Sway
There are two ways to access Sway:
- Go to Sway.com and log in with your student username and password. https://sway.com/
2. a) Access it through your OP Office 365 account. In Outlook, click on the Office 365 button at the top left hand corner of your screen.
b) Select Sway from the options provided.
OneNote is an Office 365 program which can be used for information-gathering and organisation. It collects a variety of data including notes (both typed and hand-written), drawings, screenshots, and audio recordings, and it is capable of sharing items with other users via internet connection. OneNote also uses an auto-saving system, so users don’t have to worry about saving their work.
It can be synced across devices, and even used as a phone app. Handwriting can be converted to text, and the search function is capable of reading handwriting, normal text, and text within images.
Other OneNote features include:
- Easy integration with all other Microsoft Office 365 programs.
- A widget for easily adding screenshots, notes, and documents to OneNote.
- Download templates for lecture notes and other academic purposes.
- Write or draw with a tablet and stylus.
- Use as a newsreader for RSS feeds.
- Tag your OneNote items for organisation and/or easy access.
Empower students. Step by step instructions on how to use Sway. Retrieved from: https://empowerstudents.wikispaces.com/Microsoft+Sway
Learning Techne. 7 ways Onenote can make you a better student. Retrieved from: http://learningtechne.com/study-skills/7-ways-onenote-can-make-you-a-better-student/
Microsoft (n.d.) Office 365 Education. Retrieved from: https://products.office.com/en-us/academic/office-365-education-plan
Microsoft (n.d.) OneDrive training. Retrieved from: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneDrive-training-1f608184-b7e6-43ca-8753-2ff679203132
Digital Citizen. Retrieved from: http://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-microsoft-sway Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International.
Hero image: Christmas tree light blur. mirekmurmir. Image retrieved from: https://pixabay.com/en/christmas-tree-light-blur-boketh-1226220/ Licensed under Creative Commons License CC0 Public Domain.