Place a request on items
Use Library Search | Ketu to place requests (aka ‘recalls’) on books that are out on loan or located at one of the University of Otago Libraries. You can also request a copy of a single book chapter or journal article and have it scanned and sent to your Otago Polytechnic email account.
Are you a distance learner?
If you are undertaking your study from outside the Dunedin area, please go to the Distance learners page for information about requesting books.
Steps to requesting a book
Here is the result for a book in Library Search l Ketu and it’s held in the University of Otago Law Library.
1. To request a book, click on the book title to open the full record, then go to the Get It section and click on Sign in.
2. Select Polytechnic from the menu and click the Sign in button.
3. Enter your student or staff username and password and click Submit.
4. Choose to Request the book.
5. Choose a Pickup Location – to collect the book from the Robertson Library, choose Robertson Library as the Pickup Location.
6. You’ll receive confirmation on screen if your request is successful.
If you have made your request from a public computer, don’t forget to sign out when you have finished.
Collecting your requested book
Check your Otago Polytechnic email for notification that the book is ready and waiting in Robertson Library.
The book can be collected from the Hold shelf in the Reserve Collection.
- Remember to issue the book to your Library Account before leaving the Reserve collection area.
If your request was not successful, here are some possible reasons:
Your library fines have reached the assigned limit ($5 students and $50 staff). If so, you’ll need to pay these online first.
You have an overdue item that someone has requested from you. Check your Otago Polytechnic email for library notices about this.
Some items can’t be requested for pickup at another Library. Hocken items can only be used in the Hocken Library and books in the reserve collection need to be collected from the Library they are located in (and can only be used for 2 hours at a time).
If you only require a single chapter from a book, you can request a copy of it using Library Search l Ketu. The chapter will be scanned and emailed to you as soon as possible.
1. Use Library Search l Ketu to search for the book the chapter is published in.
2. Click on the book title in your results to open up the full record.
3. Go to the Get It section and click Sign in. You may have to do this twice.
4. Enter your student or staff username and password.
5. Click on Scan request.
6. Enter the chapter details (title, author and pages) in the field provided and click Request.
7. Request confirmation will display on screen.
8. Once scanned, the chapter will be sent to your Otago Polytechnic email.
If you require an article from a journal that is not available online but the Robertson Library or the one of the University of Otago Libraries have it on the Library shelves, you can request a copy.
Follow these steps to request an article from a journal, magazine or newspaper:
1. From the Library homepage, go to Library Search l Ketu and sign in to My Account. Log in with your network/moodle username and password.
2. Once signed in, search for the journal the article is published in and click on Available in the Library.
3. Choose Request a scan from a different issue.
If you click on Available in the Library and there is no option to request a scan, it is probably because the journal is located in more than one Library. The example below shows a journal held in two Libraries (the Robertson Library and the Wellington Medical Library) and the option to request a scan is not available.
Click on a Library that has the journal volume and issue that your article is in and once you’ve done that, the option to Request a scan from a different issue will then become available.
4. Enter the details for the article:
In the Manual Description field, enter the journal volume and issue number and the page numbers for the article
In the Part to scan field, enter the article title and authors
Confirmation of your request will be sent to your OP student email.
It is very easy to cancel a request for a book, article or chapter.
1. Open Library Search | Ketu and click on the My Account icon.
2. Sign in with your Otago Polytechnic student or staff username and password.
3. Click on the Requests section in your account and then the Cancel link beside the chosen request.