The Reserve collection contains the textbooks, books, DVDs and other publications that are in high demand by students for their studies. Items in the Reserve collection are likely to be very relevant and helpful as they are added to collection at the request of course co-ordinators and lecturers.
Find out what items are in the Reserve collection for your course by using Library Search | Ketu to search for the course code (e.g. BT701001).
Books in this reserve collection area can be borrowed for 2 hours at a time and DVDs for 3 hours at a time
Items in the reserve collection will include this information in your Library Search l Ketu results:
3 Day Loan
Some items by students but can be borrowed for 3 days rather than 2 hours. These items are shelved in Main Otago Polytechnic collection, upstairs.
Items available for 3 day loan will include this information in your Library Search l Ketu results:
Bookings can be placed up to 7 days in advance.
1. Use Library Search | Ketu to search for the book you require.
2. Go to Available in the Library below the book result.
3. Click on Sign in for request options.
4. Sign in with your network/moodle username and password.
5. If there is more than one Location listed for the book (as shown below), click on the link to the Robertson Library Reserve (Polytech) copies.
Then click on Request.
6. Change the Request Type from Hold to Booking.
Select Robertson Library as the Pickup Location.
Choose a Start and End time (2 hours only) for the booking and click on Request.
Cancel a request:
Sign in to Library Search | Ketu
Go to My account and then Requests
Find the booking and choose Cancel
Items can be renewed online up to three times if no one else has placed a prior booking on them.
If you are studying at a distance, you will not be able to come in to the Robertson Library to use the items in the Reserve collection and you will not be able to request them for home delivery either (this includes 3 Day Loan books too).
For this reason, if we have an item in the Reserve or 3 Day Loan collection, we should also have a copy in the Polytech Main collection that you can request for Home Delivery.
Alternatively, we may have a copy of the item available as an e-book so you can access it online.
How to place items on Reserve:
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org about any items you need added to the reserve collection. Please identify yourself as Otago Polytechnic staff in the email; this is because the Library staff that will handle your requests also handle requests from University of Otago staff.
Tell us the name of the course the items are for and the course code.
Tell us how long you want these items to be held in the Reserve collection. Does the course run the full year, semester 1, semester 2, etc.? Items are returned to the Main collection when no longer required for a course.
Tell us whether you want the items made available for two hour loan (these will be shelved in the reserve collection) or 3 Day Loan (these will be labelled 3-Day Loan but remain in the Main Polytechnic collection). DVDs (and other audiovisual material) requested to go ‘on Reserve’ will be assigned a 3 hour loan period.
We can add department copies or personally owned copies of books to the Reserve collection, if necessary. The Library is not responsible for loss or damage to these copies. Where possible, the Library will purchase a copy for the collection rather than use a department / personally owned copy.
- Time-frame for processing Reserve collection requests: it can take up to three weeks to process requests; especially if we have to order the book for the Library as well.