“Moderation in all things," is advice given when promoting a healthy lifestyle and it is important to remember this when you are drinking alcohol.
Enjoying a drink with friends and family is a pleasant social experience and is part of a healthy social life, but drinking to excess puts strain not only on the body, mind and finances, but also on your relationships with those around you, at home, in your work and studies.
Limits to your drinking
It is important to know how much you can safely drink so that you do not damage your health. If you are a woman, you are advised to limit your alcohol consumption to 2-3 units of alcohol per day, and if you are a man, your limit is 3-4 units per day. Since women process alcohol differently, the limit is lower, and it is important for both women and men not to exceed this limit if you want to lead a healthy lifestyle.
If you are under 18 years of age or pregnant, you are advised not to drink.
Although there are safe limits, it is highly recommended that you set aside two AFDs (alcohol free days) a week to give your body time to cleanse and prevent any build up of alcohol.
Drinking too much
Tips to remember before going out for that drink
- Have a designated driver if you need to have a car.
- Carry the telephone number of a friend, parent or taxi so that you can call them to pick you up.
- Be prepared to look after your friends and yourself, and tell each other when you need to stop drinking.
- Know that it is still cool to refuse a drink and take with you like minded friends so that you feel comfortable.
- No one who is truly your friend will mind if you don’t drink or you leave a party when you have had enough. Have trust in yourself!
Drinking self assessment
Like many people, you feel your drinking does not impact on your health and wellbeing, but how do you really know if the amount you are drinking is harmful? There is a drinking self assessment that helps you to identify the overall effect of your consumption of alcohol.Take the test
This work includes material from the following sources, in order of appearance:
Glasses of rose wine. kaboompics.com. Retrieved from: https://www.pexels.com/photo/glasses-of-rose-wine-6290/ Licensed under Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal